Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Living with an ADHD Child... more...

Anyone who knows Audrey understands how bright and intelligent and very articulate she is. She is wonderful and I've always been very proud of my girl. My co-workers are always very impressed when they meet her or get a chance to see her once again for a visit in the office. Audrey is very bright and very articulate in her speech which is quite an accomplishment for one so young.

We had an appointment with her doctor on Monday re: ADHD. I swear she decided to be the worst kid she could be that day. She was overexcited, hyped up out of control - you name it. I couldn't believe it. She's usually able to straighten up after some reminders when we are out in public. I know daddy packed apples for her snack, so I wasn't ready to blame it on sugar.

I wonder if she was being super ADHD on purpose? I felt that she was. I know her better than that, she doesn't seem that deviant, and she did do a word find with me, but she was just so wacky. What do you do. So the doctor finally came in after 30 minutes of us waiting and we discussed side effects, the fact that there was no change in behavior and we will need to double her dose from 5mg to 10mg. Still a small dose.

I am hoping that in the next 2 weeks we see some improvement. Audrey is bright, sunny, lovely, smart, caring and so wonderful. I don't know what else to say. I'm at my wits end with her ADHD, since she is failing in her schoolwork and in remedial reading all because she can't focus her talents. Her parents are working with her as much as possible to get through to her and explain the mysteries of math and reading. She is good at math, so I think it must make more sense to her than some of her other subjects.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I meant to ask this outside (and it seems kind of silly to ask here since you're sitting right beside me!) but I wonder if Audrey was stressed out about the doctor's visit yesterday and that affected her behavior?