Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Mommy Asks Why

Wow... having a 6 1/2 year old is a challenge. Actually since the day Audrey was born I have been in trouble.

Audrey believes that she can question everything that mommy says. I say the sky is blue, she will disagree. Why oh why is that? Is it a mother daughter dynamic thing? I just know that I've always been wrong in her opinion. I also know that she values me, trusts me and believes in me. So why Audrey why do you have to argue with every thing mommy says?

She's intelligent. I love that. I just told her tonight: (she's lost two teeth, and others are wiggling) honey you will lose your teeth in the order you grew them in. I remember that you grew the right top tooth in before the left, so you will lose that one first. Do you think SHE believed me? Of course not. She had to argue.

The arguing is not limited to such that facts can prove. They are about anything I say to that girl. I told her it would be hot today so please wear short sleeves. She is wearing a fuzzy sweater. I begged her to at least wear layers in case she got hot!

I love my daughter, but I can't believe how she has to argue with everything I say. I say it's black, she'll say it's white. It seems as if she has a personal vendetta against me, but maybe it's just because she is my daughter and wants to establish herself as a powerful force. Well - I just hope she learns from this powerful force - her mother.

I know my mother was at a great loss when I finally decided to challenge her. I had been kept down and felt so unsuperior. So I should be so happy that I have given my daughter the feeling that she CAN make her opinons known. That was one thing I was robbed of. I was hoping so much to give Audrey the freedom to express herself, that now she is expressing herself into driving me crazy.

Oh, but I love her, she is strong and I am proud of her. If only she would listen to me once in a while :)

No comments: