Monday, March 02, 2009

Stay a baby as long as you need to

I've got a friend whose daughter had a baby a week before Brogan was born.  When I saw the beautiful pictures of her granddaughter, and the cute toothy smile and wow she was sitting up and wow standing (cruising) up... I was so surprised to find out my son is so far behind!  To us he is just a normal baby, doing baby stuff.  It's been 6 years since I had my last baby.

My friend's granddaughter has 6 teeth and my son has no teeth.  My son can't even sit by himself unassisted but he is very strong and is doing things his own way.  I'm so proud of his accomplishments and so proud of him every day!  He really cruises around and even though he isn't crawling, he devises a plan of "rollovers" to get to where he wants to go.  I think that shows great intelligence and forethought.  My son has Down syndrome.

I love my baby son and I think he is so beautiful and I am very proud of him for all that he does.  I feel very blessed to be graced with this extraordinary soul.  I do believe that Brogan was sent to me as a gift.  He is a special soul and mother earth or father, or some power knows that I will cherish this child no matter what.  

His sister grew up so fast and Brogan is taking his time.  He's my baby son, and maybe he is getting spoiled extra because he is our last baby - and his sister spoils him extra because he is her baby brother... and he is my son - my SUN, my love.  

Boys are a little slower than girls I've read, but this boy - he is special and wonderful.  His family will adore him and help him - we will help him work hard; exercise and get those muscles moving!  Sissy and mommy made up a cute little baby exercise song too. 

He has great facial muscles, heck look at the dimples when he smiles.  I worked for a week AFTER we finally got him home from the hostpital and the NICU to breast feed my baby.  This is great oral therapy.  It was hard, because he may have been drinking mommy milk - but idit didn't matter what nipple it was coming from at the time in the hospital.  We wanted him feeding well and at home.  I figured we could work on the rest, and we did.  Brogan likes his boob, and his milk and even now when he's eating 5 solid meals a day, he always wants to nurse when I come home... and always wants to nurse when it is bed time.  Come on moms just don't give up.  It may be hard, but try.  It is a special time when you can put the whole world on hold because you are feeding the baby.  It is a closeness you will never feel in your lifetime after this baby is weaned.  

LOOK at his long pretty hair curling over his ears!  He loves his mom too.  
I  Cherish my beautiful son.


At any rate Brogan is a baby and he will be a baby longer than other babies.  I've accepted that.  I think I am enjoying this lingering in babyhoodland for my own selfish reasons.  I am a working mom and missed out on so much of Audrey's babyhood and she just grew up so fast.  Brogan is just giving mommy a chance to enjoy every little thing that I missed, right?  OK I'm not delusional here, but I can put a positive spin on my son's developmental delay, can't I?  I just love Brogan and will forever and he has a great and loving family.  He is so sweet and wonderful, I wouldn't wish him to be any different than he is.

I love you son - your Mom.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I, too, love that my baby is a baby longer than other kids. Sometimes I feel a tinge of jealousy when my friends' kids, who are younger than Wes, are accomplishing more than he is, but then I look back at Wes and can't help but feel amazed. It's a gift to have a baby for longer. John and I suspect that when we have other children we'll be shocked at how quickly they grow up. Wes is a little piece of heaven every day.