Monday, December 08, 2008

Breastfeeding Brogan

I've read a lot about how hard it is for a baby with Ds and low muscle tone to latch on and breast feed.  Brogan had a tough beginning being on oxygen, and having low Oxygen saturation levels when he fed.  His stamina just wasn't up to the whole feeding thing, plus he was just learning all of the breathing/swallowing coordination and I understand that that can be a lot for a newborn to learn in the first place!

The nurses ended up tube feeding him and we fought like crazy to get him through one full day of nipple feeding to get the tube taken out.  By nipple feeding, I mean - ANY kind of nipple.  I knew the sooner we got him feeding, the sooner he could come home and I'd work on breast feeding him later.  

We got Brogan home, and I was reminded of the newborn days with my daughter, trying to get her started breastfeeding.  It was tough, but we were able to get the hang of it.  Brogan breast feeds quite well and has no trouble latching on.

Brogan is very lucky to have good muscle tone.  His pediatrician commented that his tone was a lot better than he expected.  

Since I work, I pump and bring home milk for him and when I am home I breast feed.  Now he is eating solid foods (baby food) in addition to the breast milk and supplemental formula.  I feel like all we do is "stuff" the baby.  With his vitamins and all of his varied foods, he is doing very well for a 7 month old.  I'm proud of our boy!  I'm so thankful too.  I love my baby so much, I'd do anything for him.  He is so beautiful and so sweet.  I can't imagine life without him now.

Brogan a little mad, but doing the Army Crawl!

Brogan has been doing the "Army Crawl" for a month or so now.  He really gets around and now Brogan's just started bouncing up on his knees.  He'll be crawling very soon!  Look out!  He's on the move!

No comments: